Here are the button photo frames that Ted and I made as a special Mother’s Day gifts for his grandparents. Having recently been looking through my growing collection of colourful buttons, we decided that buttons would be just perfect to decorate some frames. Ted was very proud of the finished frames, and was so pleased that he rather wanted to keep one for himself – which I think is always the sign of a great gift, when you love it so much you would really like to keep it.
- Wooden picture frame
- Water based paint – we used white satinwood
- Colourful buttons
- Glue or double sided foam tape
- Sanding paper
- Paint brush
How to make your own
- We decided to paint our picture frames, so that they would both be white – it would work just as well with different colours or frames already painted.
- Sand down picture frame with fine sand paper.
- Brush an undercoat layer of paint over the frame and leave to dry – we placed onto a box to dry
- When dry, paint a top coat or two – we used water based satinwood
- When fully dry, decorate with buttons – we used double sided foam tape, which is really strong and easy for little ones to use